Thursday, February 2, 2012

It's All About The Bejamin's Baby: The Don't Eat Your Money Challenge



          In the spirit of tax season, let's talk money.  We all can't get enough of it but most of us ::raises hand in shame:: will spend it faster than we earn it.  Its bad I know but I believe that if we can get out of the frivolous spending habits that many of us have gotten ourselves into, than a lot of the other aspects in our lives will start to improve.

           So to prove this idea, for 1 whole month I will focus on the effects my spending has on my health/weight loss.  Interesting combo huh?  Well not entirely.  You see when I look at my spending for the month a good chunk of my money (aside from my weekly mall trips) goes to eating out or satisfying my random cravings.  I'm not afraid to admit it, often times I go over my $250 budget on food for the month.

           In order to put my check book back in check and accomplish my goals for Andsoshewrite's Bikini Ready by May Challenge for my trip to Miami, I'm saving my money by doing the following...

1.  Bye Bye Chipotle:  And all other fast food joints.  No fast food at all...PERIOD.  As much as it pains me, there is no need for me to spend $10 on my entire day's worth of calories on one very delicious burrito or cheesy bread from Domino's when I have the skills and means to make a healthier alternative at home.  What will I do when I'm on the road?  Well I guess I'll cross that path when I arrive there :).


2.  If I Don't Buy It, I Can't Eat It:  One of the most easiest ways to cut calories and your spending is to not buy junk food at all!  ::Gasp:: Yea I know shocking.  This is something I've been practicing for the past month and its been working wonderfully.  Nap85 just wrote an entire piece on it yesterday for those who want in depth details but in short if you can hold your ground in the grocery store and only buy the healthy things that you need then you won't find yourself in a daily battle with your pantry... and losing :).


3.  Group Outings:  Let's face it, you're going to have to suck it up and eat out a few times for the sake of your friends but its not the end of the world.  Look at the menu and while the $25 Fillet Mignon with creamy mashed potatoes and garlic bread may sound delicious, the $10 Grilled Chicken Salad is so much better for you and your bank account.


4.  Water Water Everywhere, and a Whole Lot to Drink!:  If I told you the amount of money I spend on drinks alone your jaw would drop to the floor.  I'm a sucker for fancy restaurant concoctions, Dunkin Donut's Vanilla Chai and juices galore.  All of which are filled with empty calories and come with a complimentary dent in my pocket.  But with 0 calories and a whopping price of free99 water is coming to rescue.  My wallet and waist will no longer have to live in fear.  So goodbye drinks and hello water.  All day, everyday. 


5.  Preparation:  Last but most important, PREPARATION!  Cook at home at the beginning of the week so that you don't have to worry about it later.  I usually cook a big meal Sunday night to last me for my lunches throughout the week.  I don't know about you, but when I know I have good food in my fridge it prevents me from spending it on food elsewhere and having something to bring for lunch deters me from spending in the cafeteria.  Saves money and calories, a win win for me.


          So in short for 1 month I will be to not eat my money.  I'll be checking in periodically to keep you updated.  Join me if you're up for the task!

No comments:

Post a Comment