Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Back On My Health Grind

          So I've been slacking off on my health regimen lately and its time to get back on track.  I'm not going to make any gym promises, because I know I'll only break them but I'll try to get back in the swing of things there.  However one thing I can go hard on is my eating habits. 

          Lately I've been using My Fitness Pal in conjunction with WeightWatchers to keep track of and watch what I eat.  Now I'm not paying for the program, however you can simply look up how it works, calculate your daily points and go from there on your own. 

          The way I use My Fitness Pal and WeightWatchers together is I enter what I eat into My Fitness Pal, making sure to measure out the right serving size so the information is accurate, then I look at the nutritional values and input it into a free online Points Calculator to give me the WeightWatchers Points Plus value and voila that's it!

          Now the whole premise of WeightWatchers is that you can eat what you want but in moderation based on it's nutritional value.  An example would be a piece of chocolate cake worth 7 points compared to a salad worth 1 point.  No matter what you decided to eat it all had to fit within your daily point allowance, mine being 21 (to find your daily allowance click here). Obviously this encourages you to eat more salad than chocolate cake because it leaves you with more points you can use elsewhere.  

          My Fitness Pal on the other hand just focuses on calorie counting which isn't the best thing for me at lease because you have to keep track of every little thing and you become obsessed with trying to stay below your daily caloric intake which may not always be the healthiest choice.  Plus, you can never be sure what you're eating is correct down to the exact calorie so its kind of pointless anyway.

          So in my quest to find healthy recipes and good substitutes to reduce carbs and fats I threw together this little recipe I'm calling "Baked Zucchini Spaghetti".


Ingredients
1 Whole Zucchini
1 Can of Stewed Tomatoes
Parmesan Cheese
Italian Seasoning
Garlic Powder

Preheat oven to 350.  Using a mandolin slicer, slice the zucchini into thin ribbons.  Mix sliced zucchini with the strewed tomatoes and season with the Italian seasoning and garlic powder to taste.  Place in pan and cover with Parmesan Cheese.  Bake for 20 min.

Entire Recipe:  230 Cal, 4g Fat, 38 Carbs, 11g Fiber, and 13 g Protein = 5 Points

          I was surprised at myself for coming up with this on my own :) ::pats self on back::.  But if you want more WW friendly delicious recipes go to laaloosh.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment