Friday, September 23, 2011

Statistics 101

          There are 8,760 hrs in the year.  A typical person works an average of 40 hrs a week which breaks down to a total of about 2,080 hrs a year (a little less than 3 months).  For most of us, we don't live where we work and according to Dateline the average Americans commute to work is roughly about 25 minutes one way (on the conservative side).  That times 2 times a day, 5 times a week for 52 weeks brings you to about 216 hours a year. 
          Now your also suppose to get an average of 8 hrs of sleep per day (in a perfect world) which would mean that you sleep 2,920 hrs a year (which is 4 whole months of just sleep).  That combined with your work and commute schedule comes to a whopping total of 5,216 hrs a year (roughly over 7 months of the year) that you can't even enjoy (unless you have the job of your dreams in which that case I wouldn't call it "work").

          Needless to say you have about 40% of your adult life to actually live and enjoy.  I don't know about you, but I'm going to try and enjoy that 40% as much as I possibly can.  I know every day won't be roses, hell maybe even some weeks will be hard, but my ultimate goal in life is to be able to die and say that I did all I could up until that point to make sure I LIVED, with no regrets and enjoyed it. 

LESSON OF THE DAY

          Time is not your friend.  You really only have 40% of your life to fully enjoy and accomplish everything you want to outside of work and sleep, so do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment