Sunday, March 25, 2012

An Epiphany

Last night I had an Epiphany
I was never "about that life"
Going out all the time
Waisting my nights with people that were waisting their lives
Having kids without having a solid stable plan or partner
Hating on people I didn't even know from a can of paint
Getting caught up in the "wrong" crowd
Surrendering my life and hard earned money to drugs and alcohol
Succumbing to the stereotypes society has laid out for me as a young black women from "the hood"

No I'm not about that life.

I'm about thinking about the consequences and being prepared for them before I act
Giving people a fair chance until proven otherwise
Surrounding myself with people who uplift me because its only their opinions that truly matter
I'm about staying true to myself, dreams and goals
Never forgetting where I came from and how I got to where I am now
And in the process of it all, trying to dismantle those negative stereotypes by showing them wrong

Yeah, I'm about my life.

          I'm proud of myself.  For many things but mainly because just these past couple of weeks I've come to learn so much about the person I have been, and am becoming.  I've made plenty of mistakes, some even multiple times but I'm realizing how not to make them again.  I realize that somethings I thought I was ready for, I wasn't at all and even still now. 

          I'm proud of myself because I can see and feel me maturing.  I know I'm still a work in progress but the point is, is that I am progressing and its a very humbling process.  Time heals all wounds but if used correctly, will also make for a better individual who doesn't wound so easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment