Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Reniging on a Promise

          I know, I know, terrible thing to do right? But let's not front we've all made promises and set a goals for ourselves that we wind up breaking.  Whether its not swearing, eating healthy, or in my case staying away from the heat. 

          Yes, I made a promise back in December that I would not flat iron my hair for a year or at least until the fall.  However tomorrow I will be going to the annual National Society of Black Engineers conference and I don't want to have to worry about doing my hair.  There's a lot of workshops, career fairs, formal events, and plenty of partying and I want to be able to switch from professional hair to party hair in an instant without having to wait for my hair to air dry.   So I'm bitting the bullet tomorrow as my lovely mentor and friend NaTonia of The Chocolate Girl Chronicles be doing me the honor of flat ironing my hair straight. 

          To prep for the dreaded but welcomed heat I looked on Curly Nikki to see what I will need to do tonight to minimize heat damage.  I found this awesome article here and will be doing the following tonight...

  1. Shampooing and Conditioning with Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle:  My Terresentials love affair will be put on hold for just this time.  Why? Because I actually want to strip my hair of all the products and oils and start fresh for the flat iron and shampoo is the best way to do that, for me.  My aunt gave me the Tea Tree Tingle as she wasn't too thrilled by it.  I've heard good things about it elsewhere and it doesn't contain my no no's (sulfates, mineral oil, silicones, or parabens) so I'll give it a go. 
  2. Deep condition under my Huetiful steamer with my Homemade DC Mix:  Made a new batch and added a little Aloe Vera Juice.  We'll see if that addes any umph to it.
  3. Rinse, trim single strand knots, braid in sections, and wait: Until tomorrow's flat ironing session. No blow drying for me! The less heat the better.  
Hopefully all goes well.  I'll post pics soon of the results.  Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment